The Westwood Trust REIT strategy:
- Is actively managed, utilizing a fundamental bottom-up security selection process.
- Invests in publicly traded REITs and other real estate-related securities with market capitalizations greater than $100mm.
- Identifies assets in sectors with attractive long-term fundamentals and in geographic regions that have favorable demographic trends.
- Prefers REITs that maintain a low level of debt and have demonstrated a focused strategy to increase dividends.
- Controls risk by limiting the target weight of each holding, imposing maximum position sizes, and limiting sector weightings.
Westwood believes that team management creates a sense of ownership, accountability and consistency in the investment process. Our REIT team is supported by a fundamental research team where analysts have cross capitalization responsibilities in specific sectors.
Within our process, Research Analysts generate investment ideas, while the Portfolio Team is responsible for portfolio construction. Each of our Research Analysts is also on a Portfolio Team, which leads to a very collaborative environment where we fully utilize the expertise of all investment team members.