The Westwood SmallCap Value strategy:
- Is actively managed, utilizing a fundamental bottom-up security selection process.
- Invests in approximately 50-70 companies with attractive valuations.
- Identifies high quality companies with prospects for future profitability that are significantly stronger than what is reflected in the current stock price.
- Seeks companies with ample free cash flow and low debt.
- Controls risk by limiting the target weight of each holding, imposing maximum position sizes, and limiting sector weightings. The beta of the portfolio is typically less than that of the market.
Westwood believes that team management creates a sense of ownership, accountability and consistency in the investment process. Our SmallCap Value team is supported by a fundamental research team where analysts have cross capitalization responsibilities in specific sectors.
Within our process, Research Analysts generate investment ideas, while the Portfolio Team is responsible for portfolio construction. Each of our Research Analysts is also on a Portfolio Team, which leads to a very collaborative environment where we fully utilize the expertise of all investment team members.